16/04/2014 07:11
LVL0.7028 +0.00%
Databases of Estonian companies
Back
Text size AAA Print

Estonian schoolchildren among best speakers of English in Europe

THIS PUBLICATION HAS 13 COMMENTS
This is an interesting piece of research. There is still a lack of a common language for Europe. I should like to see wider use made of Esperanto as a common languiage for us all. Reply to the comment answer
~Bill Chapman [26.06.2012, 12:11]
From a technical standpoint, Esperanto is a good choice, but I don't see it happening. English is the de facto language of business in many European countries, and I don't see that fading. If all the movie makers, singers, and software companies (especially in the US) can be convinced to switch to Esperanto, then it does stand a fighting chance...but I just don't see that happening.
~ameeriklane [26.06.2012, 15:03]
So not everyone speaks English then! I live in London and if anyone says to me “everyone speaks English” my answer is “Listen and look around you”. If people in London do not speak English then the whole question of a global language is completely open.

Interesting also that Google translate recently added Esperanto as its 64th language.

The Esperanto online course http://www.lernu.net has 125 000 hits per day and Esperanto Wikipedia enjoys 400 000 hits per day. That can’t be bad :)
~Brian Barker [28.06.2012, 11:44]
If we speak about a common language for a common market, we mean business.

What people speak in their private lives or on the street is not the business of governments, though.
~knut albers [28.06.2012, 13:46]
rate it
answer
Reply to the comment
Well, good for Estonia! My only concern is that Estonian as a language will one day be consigned to the history books because of having a very small population and very limited utility for outsiders. Sorry guys, it also just doesn't sound so nice as to tempt outsiders much (in fairness, Finnish has been compared, memorably, to dragging an iron bedstead down/up a stone spiral staircase! I guess that English will prevail overall worldwide, but I really hope that the minority languages will stay alive; there is so much richness in diversity. Reply to the comment answer
~Peter Carter [26.06.2012, 16:08]
rate it
answer
Reply to the comment
Yeah. They learn the words "Hey Mr do you got few euros for some food" at very early age. Reply to the comment answer
~cosm bates jason [26.06.2012, 21:27]
You're mistaking those kids for the ones from the third generation of non-working families back from your home country, but I don't blame you for the mistake as Geography has never been a strong point in English enducation.
~@ [26.06.2012, 21:51]
Estonian Propaganda Guy! Earning his salary! With a Zinger! but what is "enducation"?
~mis on? [26.06.2012, 23:16]
Enducation is a play on this particular Englishman's so-called 'education'. One would think you could have figured that out on your own.
~@ [26.06.2012, 23:46]
OHHH ESTONIAN PROPAGANDA GUY! You are so clever! You are a Hero of the Estonian Nation! No wonder they pay you the big money at Ministry of Propaganda! But tell me, how you know he is English? Nobody else criticizes Estonia?
~My Hero from the Ministry! [27.06.2012, 00:30]
the people of balti jaam do not represent the whole demographic of estonia and maybe you should stop hanging around there
~no one important [27.06.2012, 02:25]
He has stated his nationality quite openly on numerous occasions.
~Englishman [27.06.2012, 08:14]
rate it
answer
Reply to the comment
That hits the target perfctely. Thanks! Reply to the comment answer
~DrRock [05.08.2012, 02:29]